Friday, June 3, 2016

Hello from the Other Side

In case anyone was wandering, I did apply for this working holiday visa on an impulse. I got lucky, I got it and now I'm here. I felt that I needed to get away from the monochromatic life in Malaysia. It was getting repetitive and suffocating.

It's late but it's better late than never. Already five months has passed since arriving New Zealand and still yet everything feels so surreal to me that I'm away from my family this long. It did take me this long to adjust and settle down to start a blog.

To be fair, I was living in a very claustrophobic room, sleeping on the upper bunk with the ceiling inches away from my nose. With little privacy and plenty of carbon dioxide, I lived like this with my cousin since the 4th of January. Rent: NZD130 per person, a week.

A lot has progressed since then, we have just reached the start of winter and we have since moved from that terribly confined space (I jokingly call it "Bangla home") to a cozy bedroom. My own room, a proper bed, my personal drawers, hooks I no longer need to share and sunlight that greets me every morning through the gaps of the dusty curtains which I was too afraid to move. I fear that a family of spiders will swarm out of it if I made a minor adjustment, and that a generous layer of dust would cover my clean sheets. The best part is going in and out of the bathroom without having to arm myself with a parka. A fireplace sits in the kitchen/ dining area and heat pumps to keep the living room warm.

Not the fireplace I was talking about.
Till then. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment